Thursday, April 5, 2012

A sad, sad day for the Cakes.


April 5th 2012 is a day I will never forget for at least a week.
It was a beautiful morning here in Phoenix, Arizona... The sun was shining, birds were singing and it was a perfect 68 degrees.
I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed, showered, got dressed, put on my face and brushed my hair.
This is about where the details get blurry so bare with me. 
I believe I put product in my hair next (because that would be the next step)
I reached in the drawer to grab Harry Hairdryer.
Plugged him in to begin our daily ritual....
The same thing we have been doing together for the last 6 years together. 

But today something changed.
Harry didn't turn on.
I shook him. hit his switch nothing.
I unplugged him. Plugged him in. hit his switch. nothing.
I unplugged him again. Shook him. Tapped on his belly. Plugged him in again. hit his switch. nothing.
I remembered that sometimes his red button pops out of place.
I pushed that red button. hit his switch. nothing. 

What I did next is probably exactly what you would have done. 
I called my boyfriend in a panic.
"What's wrong babe?" he asked
"Something is wrong with my hair dryer! I shook him. hit his switch nothing.
I unplugged him. Plugged him in. hit his switch. nothing.
I unplugged him again. Shook him. Tapped on his belly. Plugged him in again. hit his switch. nothing.
I remembered that sometimes his red button pops out of place.
I pushed that red button. hit his switch. nothing. " i said. 
'Courtney, seriously what would you like me to do about it?" he lovingly yelled at me.
"Come back home and fix him! Fix Harry." i cried to him
-click-

In a panic and also noticing that I was late.. finished up and threw a head band on and walked out of the door.
During the ride to work I prayed that Harry would be OK.
He was all I could think about at work. 

I rushed home. 
There he was sitting on the bathroom counter just like I left him.
I gave him a quick pep talk.
"Come on Harry.. Please turn on. I need you. I am sorry for hitting you or carelessly throwing you in the drawer. I am sorry for calling you stupid when your red button popped out, I am sorry for getting my hair stuck in you. " I whispered in his ear. 
I plug him in. Hit his switch. And nothing happened. 

I fell to my knees cradling Harry in my arms. 
There we sat together until the garage opened and the boyfriend came in looking for me.
"What the hell are you doing on the floor?" he affectionately said to me.
"He's gone. Baby. Harry's gone." I blubbered.
"IT'S A HAIR DRYER COURTNEY." he spoke with lots of love and sorrow in his voice.
"TO YOU. TO YOU HE'S A HAIR DRYER!!! TO ME HE'S HARRY HAIRDRYER. MY HARRY." I CRIED OUT.
"THROW IT AWAY COURTNEY, JESUS (ready for Easter!) he advised me.

With tears in my eyes I walked to the garage and grabbed a Target bag.
Walked back in the garage. Opened the bag and placed Harry in it. And left him laying on the counter.
Turing around one last time to say good-bye.

I asked the boy to give Harry a proper burial.
Which he very lovingly did for me.

So tonight I would like to honor Harry.
I have prepared a obituary for you... 
To remember Harry.


Harry Hairdryer had a passion for life and a head for business, but it was the way that he dried the hair of the people around him that his owner remembers him the best…
"There will never be another like him" loyal owner Courtney said "He leaves all of us with wonderful memories of joy and laughter and the gift beautifully blown dry hair"
It was Mr. Hairdryers unique combination of keen intelligence, clarity of thought, sharp wit, warmth, and amazing meandering ability led to his extraordinary success… Born in Scottsdale, Mr. Hairdryers attended prestige institutes to further his education on drying hair and participated in many committees and organizations within the hair drying community…His most recent accomplishment was getting Courtney ready for the Super Bowl so she could cheer on their beloved New York Giants on to victory.
Mr. Hairdryer, 88 years old, died Thursday April 5th, in his North Phoenix home after a long battle with shorting out and getting hair caught in his motor…
Mr. Hairdryer enjoyed traveling around the country with his owner…
Besides his residence in North Phoenix, Mr. Hairdryer owned a summer home in the bathroom drawer where he kept up with all the hair-styles and "up-do's" by reading Cosmo's…
Harry Hairdryer is survived by his lifelong friend and owner Courtney…




*Some of this story has been altered for dramatic purposes.

8 comments:

Shannon Page said...

I LOVE everything about this post. You have no idea how many times I've had probs with hair dryers. I used to have this great Bed Head dryer...my man used it one night to dry some paint and the next morning it didn't turn on - I screamed at him and told him it was all his fault and he thought I was nuts!! I ALWAYS keep a back up now....I can't risk it:)

Sarah said...

Im the same way when sometime I use every day stops working. Its like the end of the world. If it wasnt for funny blogging stories that I can relate to I dont think I would make it through the day.

Jodi said...

Well look at the bright side. . . now you have an excuse to go shopping!!

Unknown said...

so sorry for your lost, but I seriously cannot stop laughing!

lori said...

haha! this happened to me last year. bad day. hope you find a great replacement!

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

Oh boy. Hair dryers.... this is why I try to air dry as much as possible, one time someone told me you could use the back end to like create volume or something I forget... but lets just say I almost burned my hair!

Sarah said...

This post is....the best. I mean, seriously, I was laughing so hard. You have the best sense of humor when something annoying happens. Hope your weekend is going well!

Katelin said...

haha if only i could relate, i haven't owned a hairdryer ever. but still i'm sorry you had to lose harry.